A lot from a little

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Lights!

Since I was about 9, I've been intrigued and amazed by Christmas lights. They have this College in GA that they transfer into a massive Santa's workshop with over 5000 lights in December. I've gone for the past 5 years (minus last year) and each time I get excited and happy to see the lights. Call me a little kid, but there is something about the Christmas season that makes me happy. I know I don't officially celebrate Christmas yet (I'll be able to officially celebrate it once I marry my guy), but it seems much more joyous than Channukah. That's not to say that Channukah isn't fun, but once you get past the age of 9 it becomes less exciting (you don't get 8 presents over the course of 8 nights and there are no family festivities or meals). When I lived in Canada the first time around (age 1-9.5), Channukah was so much fun. My grandparents went out of their way to make it fun (as did my mom) and I really enjoyed lighting the Menorah (sp?). Once we moved to GA though, everything changed. My mom was the only one that lit the candles and we stopped getting fun presents (at least not presents we wanted). Channukah was no longer about spending time with cousins and grandparents, but instead lighting the candles and watching tv.

Now, all this said, I like Christmas not for the religious portion but for the family/fun portion (and maybe because I've never really celebrated it and it's semi-new to me). Any holiday that celebrates family, food, fun, lights and presents, I'm all about.

Happy Holidays!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Myke said…

    Chanukah is about the festival of lights and yet you're going to a Christmas display... hmmm, switching teams are we? Just kidding- they were pretty amazing lights the one time I saw 'em. I still enjoyed Niagara Falls' lights better ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home