A lot from a little

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Friendly expectations

I just realized that most of my facebook friends aren't really friends at all.  I'd put most of them in the acquaintances category.  Of course, with this realization, I feel like a bit of a loser.  Why am I "friends" with these people if they aren't really my friends?  Maybe it's cause I want to look popular or maybe it's cause I'm curious to see what they have become.  Either way, it leaves me with an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.  

When I was younger I use to call everyone my "best friend."  I was a bit of a "best friend" slut, I suppose!  Since University I have realized that the term "best friend" is really stupid and elementary.  What is a "best friend" anyways?  I think the term gets misused a lot!  I always thought a best friend was someone who you spend a great deal of time with and who you share your deepest and darkest secrets.  So then what is a "close friend"?  I think it's someone who knows you well (i.e. your quirks, likes/dislikes, etc...) and enjoys spending time with you.  I guess that would mean that a "friend" is someone you enjoy seeing occasionally and knows you enough to feel comfortable around you (and you around them).  

All this to say...I have a lot of "friends" who are border line "close friends."  And the only person I know who matches the "best friend" definition is Myke.  

1 Comments:

  • At 1:45 PM, Blogger Myke said…

    Oh man, I was hoping I was your BFF! There is nothing wrong with keeping people on your Facebook page out of curiosity to see where their lives go. I often live vicariously through my friends' photos of their travels throughout the world.

    But although you have very high standards for what a friend is and should be, you should know there are many, many people out there who love you and love to spend time with you. But, like the Carole King song laments, everyone is so far away. Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore? That could mean physically or even in different places in one's life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home