A lot from a little

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Too much Jesus talk

Why do people just assume that everyone is Christian? Is it our society's fault? We decorate all the malls, hotels, etc... in Christmas attire (minus the token Jewish star or mennorah) when we know that not everyone celebrates it. Some would argue that the US was based on Christian values and that we should respect that and celebrate the American "culture" (I put that in quotations cause I'm not really sure what culture we have). Others, like myself, just assume that someone is a Christian if they say they have no religion or don't say anything at all. It's America's default religion.
My point is, society (me included) needs to stop and realize that not everyone is Christian (or the same for that matter) and that we need to start opening our eyes and celebrating the different cultures that make up America.
So there!

Oh, and I'm way too tired right now.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger Myke said…

    If you think Christianity is America's (and Canada's) default religion, aren't you guilty of the very thing you accused American Culture of doing (namely ascribing Christianity to everyone)? The answer, my love, is yes.

    Oh, and Judaism is an ethnic category. So there!

     
  • At 4:35 AM, Blogger Dayray said…

    I said in my post that I am guilty of doing that same thing. Don't you read well? Kidding!

    Being Jewish is a culture and a religion. So there!

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Doesn't the fact that the word Christmas has the word Christ in it mean that it is a christian holiday. Removing Jesus from this holiday would make Christmas meaningless.

    Other religions, cultures or faiths have the option of not celebrating it if they don't want to.

    I ask you though, would Hanukkah be the same if the holy temples dedication to God was yanked from it?

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Dayray said…

    I am definitely not saying that we should stop celebrating Christmas as a society, but I think we should acknowledge different holidays and religions too. Why not decorate the malls with Chinese decorations when it's the Chinese New Year? It's a thought.

    And yes, other religions have the choice to celebrate Christmas or not. Good Point!

    I'm not really following your last statement though. Hanukkah is not a religious holiday like Christmas so we don't generally go to temple like we do during the high holy days (i.e. Yom Kippur and Rosh H.).

    I hope I'm not coming off as disrespectful to you and your culture/religion. I think Christmas is a great holiday and enjoy celebrating it with you and your family.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home